Fan speed goes up to 100% and down again repetitious.

AntMiner • Beginners • åsmund • Posted 2017-03-20 13:05:27 • Reply by åsmund at 2017-06-25 13:06:14 • Read 236 times

Hello there.

I just bought me two new Antminers s9- 13Th/s and 13.5 Th/s. (3 machines in total)
The info on all the miners status seems normal, kernel version and hardware version is up to date,
temperatures looks quite normal (80-85 degrees), Connected to a working pool (2 machines to slushes pool + 1 machine to Antpool).

And here is the problem: When i connected my new machines they run fine a day or two, then one of the 2 new machines (either one of them) start to increase the fan speed to 100% immediately, after a few seconds it goes down to normal state, then 20 seconds later it goes up again.

This repeats itself until i reboot the machine. It looks normally on miner status (except fan speed of course which is 100% at the time)

Sometimes it takes longer between those speed regulation the fan does for some wierd reason.

this did not happen when I only had one machine.

1: I have tried to set the antminers to static ip which give them a fixed IP address. (Altso on my modem) can it be something with the network that makes them like this??

2: The green led ligth on the rigth side of the network cable occasionally blinking constantly on 2 of 3 machines, while on my first antminer it blinks like many times, then dark 1-2 seconds, then many blink again like it normally should do. Yellow ligth on the left side on the internett cable holds a constant ligth on all 3 machines. Is all this normal??

3: I have not yet tried to reset antminer to factory settings.

I apologize in advance if this was a little difficult to understand but hope someone that is better then me out there can help me wih this and who have experienced the same problem as me.

Received a total of 11 Replies
MissouriMinerScott • #1 • 2017-05-16 11:09:32

Did you ever find a solution?  I see your message is 2 months old without a response. 

One of my S9's has the same issue.  The temp's are good.  I have 5 other miners in the room.  All report same temperature range.  Only 1 miner has the fan issue.  The miner with fan issue hashes properly and at correct hash rate.  But my miners are close enough to my office that I can hear when the fans speed up to 100%, especially the front fan which spins at 6000 RPM.  

I would like the option to set the fans to a fixed speed percentage, like we could with S7 and many prior models.   (Please Bitmain, if you read this, please add a fixed fan speed option to the S9's.)

åsmund • #2 • 2017-06-01 20:24:43

No, i did not find out what the problem was and there's very little information about it on google.

Only thing I found out was when i put the machines in my basement where the temperature is from 15-20 degrees celsius, and i increased air circulation it takes longer time between each time this problem occurs.
It seems like it happens when there are small temperature changes, or something to do with the air but this is just a theory for the time being. Strange it happens with 1 machine for us both.

Have you tried to install update, or used update file from another machine that works?

Hope Bitmain or anyone who has experienced this reader and has a nice explanation because, as you say, it's uncomfortable with these loud sounds

RobertYoung • #3 • 2017-06-04 03:42:28

I have the same issue as both of you.  In my case, one machine out of 6 Antminer S9s.  I have mine outdoors where the ambient temperature is now around 15º C (60ºF) and the miner in question runs much cooler than the rest (all chips are less than 70ºC, whereas the other miners' chips max out at 82ºC or so).  This is a bit of an issue for me, since it is noticeably louder.  So far, the neighbours haven't complained, but I'd really like to find a solution, too.

Bitmain?  Any suggestions?

RobertYoung • #4 • 2017-06-04 04:24:06

I've taken a closer look at my "Miner Status" page of the web interface during the cycle.  What's happening is the fan speed settles down in the mid-2000s RPM range (mine got as low as 2400), during which time the temperatures slowly rise on all chips.  When the hottest running chip reaches 82º C, the fans kick in to high gear, with one getting up to at least 10,680 RPM.  The chip temps rapidly cool with the hottest getting below 70º C and the fan speeds settle down again, repeating the cycle.

To me it seems as though a software issue (firmware tweak?) is causing the fans to shoot up to maximum speed, rather than simply a level higher, when the maximum temperature is reached on the hottest chip.

The problem probably isn't just excess noise, either.  I'm sure this machine is pulling more Watts and is costing more in electricity, although I haven't measured by how much.

I've sent a support ticket to Bitmain.  I hope to hear back soon.

BatyaBTC • #5 • 2017-06-04 13:17:32

Hi Robert,

I responded to your ticket. Please let us know if the issue is not resolved.

Regards,

Barbara

Bitmain

åsmund • #6 • 2017-06-05 12:09:55

To Robert: How often do these cycles come with your machine?

Then, probably, my theory of temperature change is not likely to be since you have your machine outside and there is enough air there too. 82 degrees is really a good temperature too, so it's strange that the fan goes 100% at that temperature :(

Your theory of software issue can of course be the reason, but I tried to make a hard reset + install another verson for a little while ago but no luck.
But it can of course be the same type of hardware version that I installed: P (a verson that was newer but without any major changes)

One thing we could try is to switch over the control board from a machine that works fine, maybe the problem is there?

Good point, the machine is probably pulling a bit more power since it goes into berserk mode.

10,680 RPM?
Is not the front fan maxed out at 6000 rpm?

RobertYoung • #7 • 2017-06-21 00:31:28

Hi Robert,

I responded to your ticket. Please let us know if the issue is not resolved.

Regards,

Barbara

Bitmain

Hello, Barbara.

For some reason I'm having trouble accessing your response.  Is there any chance you could resend it?

Thanks,

Robert

RobertYoung • #8 • 2017-06-21 01:11:32

To Robert: How often do these cycles come with your machine?

Then, probably, my theory of temperature change is not likely to be since you have your machine outside and there is enough air there too. 82 degrees is really a good temperature too, so it's strange that the fan goes 100% at that temperature :(

Your theory of software issue can of course be the reason, but I tried to make a hard reset + install another verson for a little while ago but no luck.
But it can of course be the same type of hardware version that I installed: P (a verson that was newer but without any major changes)

One thing we could try is to switch over the control board from a machine that works fine, maybe the problem is there?

Good point, the machine is probably pulling a bit more power since it goes into berserk mode.

10,680 RPM?
Is not the front fan maxed out at 6000 rpm?

Hi, åsmund.

The cycles seem to come and go.  At their worst, the fan kicks into high every few minutes or so (I estimate 5 but I honestly haven't timed it).  As for the max RPM, I'm simply getting that from the "Miner Status" page from the miner's web UI.  That's the highest number that was reported when I hit refresh -- it drops immediately from there.  The instantaneous readings may be a little extraneous, but I've seen 10,000+ RPM on a couple of cycles, so the numbers themselves are real enough.

I suppose it's possible it's a control-board issue, although I don't know how that would be the case.

As an update, I'm in the Southern Hemisphere and the ambient temperature now drops to 5 - 10 degrees C at night as winter approaches.  The cycles have continued, although my unscientific impression is that they don't happen as frequently.  (Although I could be wrong about that -- to be sure, I'd need to keep continuous track of the fan speed.  I suppose I need to learn how to do that with API calls.)

Rob

RobertYoung • #9 • 2017-06-21 01:21:15

Decided to dig a little deeper into the Kernel Logs of all 6 miners.  Despite a few minor differences in times, numbers, etc., all were nearly identical.

However, there is an interesting difference right at the bottom (4th from last, in the case of the offending miner).  It appears as though the top temp on this miner has been set to 72, rather than 82:

set FAN speed according to: temp_highest=72 temp_top1[PWM_T]=72 temp_top1[TEMP_POS_LOCAL]=65 temp_change=0 fix_fan_steps=-19

It's also the only miner that has a "set normal FAN speed" command (immediately following the line above):

set normal FAN speed... with fix_fan_steps=-20

I'm not sure what this means or how to fix it.  It's running the same firmware as 4 of my other miners (PIC fw version=0x03), according to the Kernel Log.

åsmund • #10 • 2017-06-25 12:59:24

Possible it is only a small error with the status page since it is 10,000rpm. Seems a bit odd..
I have a miner that shows 10 degrees higher on 1/3 hash bord (94 degrees) but it mines the speed that is supposed to do.
if the temperature had really been 10 degrees higher than it normally should then the machine would been overclocked and would have a higher hash speed.. I'm assuming it's only a little error message on the status page.

But anyway, back to the problem,
You have your machines cooler than mine, but still this cycle happens.
Then i don't  think the temperature have much impact on what we have found out:(

2: When it sets FAN speed according to: temp_highest = 72:
i think this may be because when this cycle occurs, the fans blow so hard that the machine gets a lot cooler and sets the fan speed acording to 72 degrees, but after the fans stop running at 100%, it goes back to normal temperature again, rigth? = 82-85 degrees.

Here's a log I've had once:

Set FAN speed according to: temp_highest = 66 temp_top1 [PWM_T] = 66 temp_top1 [TEMP_POS_LOCAL] = 56 temp_change = -5 fix_fan_steps = 0
Set normal FAN speed ... with fix_fan_steps = 0
FAN PWM: 52
Read_temp_func Done!

And then it goes up to 85 degrees again after the fan has stopped blowing at 100%

3: A couple of weeks ago i tried to install the latest software because one machine begun to have the problem up to several times a day (after it usually went normal for about a week)

After a few days of the new software, i suddenly lost the electricity in the house and my progress was lost:). But now it has run normally for 9 days after the power loss and without any problem "knock on wood"
I am using Hardware Version 16.8.1.3

Have you tried to install the latest software?
åsmund • #11 • 2017-06-25 13:06:14

I have 2 machines as it says normal FAN speed "command (immediately following the line above):

I do not know why that happens on just 2 of my machines, weird:s

You need to Sign In before replying, if there is not an account you can Sign Up for an account.
 Create a new topic

Hash Rate & Mining Difficulty
 PH/s
BTC PRICE INDEX (24H)
Latest Blocks
Height:  
Size:  
Nonce:  
Bits:  
Relayed By:  
USD  % 
EUR  €